Saturday, November 8, 2008

Ye Auld Dub

On the same day that my mom left, me and Sami went on our own little trip to our neighbor next door, Ireland. After talking with our friends that already went, we heard that Dublin didn't seem too special, but we were still determined to make it great trip. Once we got to our hostel, we decided to go explore the city centre and see what the town truly had to offer. Here is Sami near the river Liffey:
After checking out the O'Connell Bridge and O'Connell Street, we headed to our first Irish pub, where I tried some famous Irish Whiskey:

After a drink or two, we left and we went down to Trinity College (1592) via the Ha'Penny Bridge. Although it was dark by this point, the campus was still pretty. Here are a few that I took on the last day during the daytime:
Another shot:Later that night, we headed down to the Temple Bar area, the nightlife area of Dublin. It was pretty fun, nothing special though. Actually, the only thing special was the price. It turns out that Dublin is a VERY expensive city, the same as London pretty much, maybe even more.

The next day we went down to the shopping district around O'Connell Bridge and made a few purchases; Sami got boots and I got a nice sweater. After our shopping, we did a little sight seeing on our way to the Guinness Store House.
Here is Dublin Castle (1204).

The Spire (2003).

Christ's Church (1171).

After a lot of walking we made it to the Guinness Store House:

Once inside, we learned about how to make beer and why Guinness is so special. And at the end we both enjoyed a complimentary pint that we pulled from the tap ourselves:

Here is Sami with her's.

Also, at the end of the "tour" we saw the 9000 (nine thousand!!) year lease that Arthur Guinness has at St. James' Gate in Dublin. Only 8751 years to go!

The next day, we didn't have too much time before we had to go back to the airport for our flight so we decided to check out Trinity College in the daytime, get lunch near Grafton Street and check out St. Stephen's Green (1663). The park was very pretty. Here are some pictures:

After picking up our luggage from the Hostel, we caught the bus back to the airport. Luckily we got the front row seats on the top of the double decker. This is the last image that I have of Dub:
Well, I think I got you guys all caught up now with three blogs in the last three hours. Anyway, the next few weeks I have a lot of school to catch up on so I don't know how many more blogs I will be doing, since I will not be traveling that much. Although, now that I think about it, I am going an Arsenal Game Tuesday, so I will try to do one on that at some point during the week. Hope you enjoyed!

No comments: