Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The British Museum

Wow! I don't know how to explain the great this place is, I could sit in there for a few days and still not be able to see everything that I would want to see. Even walking up to this palace of history is overwhelming, it is so large, but it is even larger in the inside. The great reading room and the glass dome are breath taking. Here are some of the highlights:

The Glass Dome
This glass dome was finished in 2000 and connects all of the museum together. It is so cool to look at.

Rosetta Stone
One of the most important discoveries of modern time is here and its pretty easy to find. It was great to see the real thing as opposed the replica in the Penn Museum.

Egyptian stuffHere is me giving my offering to the gods.

A big head.

Assyrian stuff
There were 2 of these, one on either side of the hall. They were about 25 feet tall and had so much detail.

This is just a detail of a 40 foot-long mural-esque wall. The seen depicites an Assyrian king hunting wild lions. They would be built to symbolize the protection provided by the king. [NOTE: information was obtained from overhearing a tour guide]

Mosaics
Going up one of the stairwells, there were these taken murals from the mediterrian sea countries (I forget if it was Greece, etc.). This one here is a dolphin. I thought it was pretty awesome and it puts to shame our modern ones (esspecially the ones done my senior year at Masterman).

Besides these highlights, there is still so much to see and left to photograph. I will upload them all to one album so check it out when there is a British Museum update!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

too bad josh jeffers didn't give you this tour